Anticipation is Canvention 29 where the Canadian Prix Aurora Awards will be presented.
The Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Awards (“the Auroras”) have been presented at Canvention almost continually since 1980. Anticipation has won the bid to be Canvention 29 so the Aurora Awards will be presented at Anticipation this year.
Canadian Science-fiction conventions and occasionally other groups bid to be designated the year’s “Canadian National Science Fiction Convention,” or “Canvention,” where the Aurora Awards are presented. The Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association, an unincorporated literary society, administer the Auroras and Canvention.
The Aurora Awards
Since 1991, awards have been given in 10 categories at a Presentation Ceremony.
There are 6 professional awards (3 English and 3 French), 3 fan awards, and the artistic achievement award (open to both pros & fans). The Auroras are closest to the style of the Hugos in the method that they are selected. First there is a nomination phase to select a short list, then a voting phase to pick the winner from that short list. The Australian voting method is used for the voting phase.
The nomination period for the Prix Aurora Awards is now over. We would like to thank everyone who took the time to nominate.
To vote, you must:
1. be a Canadian citizen, not necessarily living in Canada, or a permanent resident
2. be a member of Anticipation or be a voting member of Canvention. Details to become a member of Anticipation can be found here. Details to become a voting member of Canvention are on the ballot.
Best Long-Form Work in English
Best work of SF or Fantasy in a novel or fiction collection in English by a Canadian writer, published in 2008.
- After the Fires, Ursula Pflug (Tightrope Books)
- Identity Theft and Other Stories, Robert J. Sawyer (Red Deer Press)
- Impossibilia, Douglas Smith (PS Publishing)
- Defining Diana, Hayden Trenholm (Bundoran Press)
- Marseguro, Edward Willett (DAW Books)
Best Long-Form Work in French
Best work of SF or Fantasy in a novel or fiction collection in French by a Canadian writer, published in 2008.
- Une fêlure au flanc du monde, Éric Gauthier (Alire)
- The Winds of Tammerlan (English), Michèle Laframboise (Éditions Médiaspaul, coll. Jeunesse-Plus)
Best Short-Form Work in English
For a published SF or Fantasy novella, novelette, short story or poem in English by a Canadian writer, released in Canada in 2008.
- “ All In,” Peter Atwood (May-June, Weird Tales magazine)
- “Back,” Susan J. Forest (June, Analog magazine)
- “Ringing in the Changes in Okotoks, Alberta,” Randy McCharles (Tesseracts Twelve, Edge Science Fiction)
- “A Bouquet of Flowers in a Vase by Van Gogh,” Douglas Smith (Impossibilia, PS Publishing)
- “Doorways,” Douglas Smith (Postscripts Magazine #17, PS Publishing)
Best Short-Form Work in French
For a published SF or Fantasy novella, novelette, short story or poem in French by a Canadian writer, released in Canada in 2008.
- « Ballade sur Pallide », Michèle Laframboise (Virages 44)
- « La révolte des gilets-malins », Michèle Laframboise (QUAD9 6A)
- « Le Dôme de Saint-Macaire », Jean-Louis Trudel (Solaris 167)
- « Jos Montferrand et le Grand Brigand des routes », Alain Ducharme (Solaris 167)
Best Work in English (Other)
For SF or Fantasy activity, in English, by a Canadian, in 2008 not encompassed by the previous categories.
- The Gaslight Grimoire, Jeff Campbell & Charles Prepolec, Réd. (Edge Science Fiction)
- Neo-opsis magazine, Karl Johanson, Ed.
- Tesseracts Twelve, Claude Lalumière, Ed. (Edge Science Fiction)
- Through The Window: A Journey To The Borderlands Of Faerie, Marcie Lynn Tentchoff (Double Edge Publishing)
- On Spec magazine, Diane Walton, Managing Ed.
Best Work in French (Other)
For SF or Fantasy activity, in French, by a Canadian, in 2008 not encompassed by the previous categories.
- Jean-Louis Trudel, Sophie Beaulé, (Éditions David)
- Solaris, Joël Champetier, Editing
For a work or body of work produced by a Canadian artist during 2008.
- Looking for Group, Lar deSouza (Online comic)
- Couverture, Neo-Opsis #14, Stephanie Ann Johanson
- Imagination, Michèle Laframboise (Imagination contre les pigeons spammeurs, Vermillon)
- Fear Agent #22, Ronn Sutton (Dark Horse)
- Couverture, JEMMA7729, David Willicome
Fan Achievement (Fanzine)
For a Canadian fanzine or newsletter relating to SF or Fantasy published in 2008.
- The Original Universe, Jeff Boman, (Ed.)
- Opuntia, Dale Spiers (Ed.)
- Clair/Obscur, François-Bernard Tremblay, (Ed.)
- Brins d’éternité, Guillaume Voisine, (Ed.)
Fan Achievement (Organizational)
For individual contributions to Canadian SF convention or club activities during 2008.
- Robyn Herrington Memorial Short Story Contest, Renée Bennett (Administrator)
- World Fantasy 2008, Kim Greyson (Guest Liaison)
- FilKONtario 18, Judith Hayman, & Peggi Warner-Lalonde (Co-chairs)
- World Fantasy 2008, Randy McCharles, (Chair)
- Anime North 2008, David Simmons (Organizer)
Fan Achievement (Other)
For Canadian fan activity in 2008 not encompassed by the previous two categories.
- World Fantasy 2008 Podcasts, Kurt Armbruster, & Ryah Deines (Producers/Ed./Hosts)
- Impulse, MonSFFA Newsletter, Keith Braithwaite (Ed.)
- Through the Keyhole – 25 years of Memories from KeyCon, Jennifer Ennis (Ed.)
- Fan writing, Lloyd Penney
- Heather Dale Concert, Joan Sherman (Organizer)
Nominees may send new or updated links to